The Diu Fort was constructed in the year 1535 by the Portuguese during the time when they were the rulers of the island of Diu. This fort is located to the east of the town of Diu and has a very colorful history behind it. This fort was built as part of an alliance between the Portuguese colonists and the Sultan of Gujarat named Bahadur Shah in order to repel the troops of the Mughal Emperor Humayun. Over the years there were numerous fortifications made to the fort, all the way up to the year 1546.
Tourists who visit the Diu fort will surely be delighted as they see the results of the enormous amounts of effort which went into creating this defensive position which repelled one of the mightiest troops in history. The Diu fort has also been chosen as one of the New Seven Wonders of Portugal along with the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Goa.