Established in the year 1948, Fort Museum is located within the fortification of the St. George Fort. This museum exhibits various artifacts and armory that was used by the British. The best of all the antiquities are displayed in ten galleries.
Located within the fort, the building that houses museum is regarded as the oldest building that is surviving till date. Statue of Lord Cornwallis, which was made out of marble, greets tourists. Different drawings that show various stages of construction and renovation of this majestic structure from 1640 onwards adorn the lobby.
Uniforms of the British army and the ceremonial dresses of bodyguards of Governors of Madras are displayed in the gallery. Nearly 64 medals that were issued by the government are also displayed here. This museum also displays a collection of things that have been collected from the time period of French East India Company, as well as from the Muslim period.