Church of Reis Magos, Goa

Church of Reis Magos

On the banks of the river Mandovi, tourists can find the first church which was built in the area of Bardez in the year 1555, called the Church of Reis Magos. This church can be clearly seen from across the Mandovi River, thanks to the gabled and white-washed façade which makes it stand out. This church was built as a dedication to St. Jerome but there has been significant historical research which indicates that this church had actually been constructed atop the ruins of a much older Hindu temple, thanks to the presence of two bas-relief lion statues located at the beginning of the steps leading up to this church. The importance of this church was also determined thanks to the presence of the Royal Coat of Arms of Portugal atop the gable, as well as the fact that it is the final burial place of two former Viceroys of Goa.

Other Attractions in Goa

Filter by

Let's socialize

Customer support
+91 88800-60500
Home | Cancellation Policy | Privacy Policy | Terms of Services | About | Blog | Contact
© 2014 | All Rights Reserved
Designed by Relicon