The Basilica of Bom Jesus is not only Goa’s most important and famous church, but also one of the most hallowed churches in the world, also famous as a World Heritage Monument. This church is one of the most brilliant examples of the simplicity and elegance of baroque Jesuit architecture, which can be found across the world and although some areas of it are in a state of disrepair, thanks to the ravages of time, there are also efforts going on to maintain it. The foundation stone for the Basilica was laid on 24 November 1954 at a location in Old Goa, 10 km away from the city of Panaji. This church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Goa and Primate of India, Fr. Alexia De Menezes on 15 May 1605 and has since then had a very tumultuous history. Tourists can opt from any of the number of local sightseeing tours which can take them to this church.