Fort Aguada is one of the most well known places of interest in the state of Goa which was built by the Portuguese settlers here on the Sinquerim Beach in the year 1613 for a variety of reasons. This fort acted as a landmark which European ships travelling to Goa could use in order to take their bearings, as well as an important defensive position which was used in order to safeguard this state from the naval invasions attempted by the Maratha Empire and the Dutch Empire. The lighthouse which was built in the year 1864 is one of Asia’s oldest lighthouses. The importance of this fort can be determined by features, like a fresh water tank with storage capacity of over 2 million gallons, as well as 79 cannons which made this fortress capable of withstanding even the most determined sieges. Tourists who are interested in photography, architecture and history will have plenty to amaze them at this Fort.